The Open RAN Policy Coalition today released a new Policy Roadmap, outlining the steps that governments and policymakers can take to accelerate adoption of open standards in the RAN and promote a network ecosystem that is more diverse, competitive and secure.
The Policy Roadmap is intended as a starting point for discussions between stakeholders. It outlines policy tools applicable to addressing a number of regulatory objectives, including strategies for governments to:
- Support the emergence of new network infrastructure vendors
- Accelerate demand for Open RAN solutions
- Catalyze investment in technical capabilities
- Support operators as they develop an approach to managing a multi-layer network architecture
- Establish the right approach to oversight of multi-vendor network architecture
- Engage with international allies to share experiences and best practices
Case studies based on policies implemented by the Governments of the UK and Japan are also included as real-world examples of actions governments can take to encourage communicationsequipment to be interoperable, based on open architecture, and meet standards of security.
The Roadmap is available for download on the Open RAN Policy Coalition website at https://www.openranpolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/roadmap.pdf.