The Open RAN Policy Coalition is excited to be back in Barcelona for MWC this week, February 27 – March 2.
ORPC Executive Director Diane Rinaldo will participate in a panel discussion on Wednesday as part of the Fujitsu Partner Program on Network Trust – How To Securely Connect Cyber World To Physical World. The discussion, moderated by Fujitsu’s Femi Adeyemi, will focus on how network operators, cloud providers, application providers and policy & academic bodies can implement network security and ensure trusted solutions for a sustainable society.
Many Coalition members will also be in attendance in Barcelona; below are just a few highlights of their exciting announcements and demonstrations:
- Cohere Technologies launched a new automated MU-MIMO beamforming solution for calibrating 4G and 5G networks using existing network and spectrum assets. The new Dynamic Network Alignment (DNA) solution applies the latest cellular technologies over existing radio and antenna infrastructure, supporting ever-evolving standards and innovations. The solution has been shortlisted for Best Network Software Breakthrough at the 2023 Global Mobile Awards (the “GLOMOs”) at MWC Barcelona. This award recognizes outstanding innovations that are shaping future software-based networks.
- DeepSig, experts in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) innovation in wireless communications, announced that it hit a joint milestone in Open radio access networks (RAN) 5G Massive MIMO (mMIMO) performance leveraging Intel’s FlexRAN reference architecture. Visit DeepSig at MWC in Hall 2, L14MR to learn more about their leading AI-native products for wireless systems.
- Mavenir and Cohere Technologies recently announced an agreement to accelerate the transition of proprietary RAN to a fully Open RAN Multi-G solution for 4G, 5G and OTFS. To learn more about the collaboration, visit Mavenir (Hall 2 Stand 2H60) and Cohere Technologies (stand OA3B.8, outside between Halls 3 & 5) at MWC.
- Mavenir alongside Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., announced the launch of its next generation OpenBeam™ massive MIMO (mMIMO) 32TRX Active Antenna Unit (AAU), featuring the Qualcomm QRU100 5G RAN Platform. The solution boasts industry-leading energy efficiency levels using AI based technology while boosting network performance to drive the transition toward modern networks by helping operators simplify and lower total cost of ownership of 5G deployments.
- NTT DOCOMO, along with the Embodied Media Project and the Haptics Lab announced they have developed a technology, FEEL TECH, the world’s first technology that enables haptic information to be shared between people via DOCOMO’s human-augmentation platform. FEEL TECH will be introduced at DOCOMO’s booth at MWC Barcelona 2023. DOCOMO is also promoting OREX, a new open RAN service brand by DOCOMO and multiplex global partners. Visit the DOCOMO booth to learn more.
- Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. announced plans to collaborate with Dell Technologies to develop a next-generation, 5G vDU, integrating the Qualcomm® X100 5G RAN Accelerator Card into Dell PowerEdge servers. The solution will help usher in the next wave of digital transformation and proliferate Open RAN deployments globally. The companies plan to simplify deployments and help lower total cost of ownership by delivering high-performance, O-RAN compliant, energy-efficient, virtualized, cloud-native 5G solutions.
- Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and NEC Corporation highlighted their continued commitment to push the commercialization of next-generation networks with the introduction of the latest 5G vDU from NEC. Powered by the Qualcomm X100 5G RAN Accelerator Card, HPE ProLiant DL110 Platform, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, this new innovative infrastructure solution aims to address the ever-growing capacity challenges and low latency needs of networks of the future and satisfy the demands of consumer digital experiences.
- Rakuten Symphony leaders will be joined by key partners at an MWC Barcelona Partner Program event, “Introducing Mobile as a Software,” to discuss how Mobile as a Software can bring much needed transformation to telecoms. In a series of panel sessions on Tuesday, February 28 from 9:00 – 13:00 CET, discussion will focus on real-world experiences, new approaches the industry must adopt, and successes and remaining challenges.
- Rakuten Symphony also announced the 2.0 version of its Symwarenext-generation distributed unit platform for Open RAN. Symware 2.0 platform is based on 4th Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors with Intel vRAN Boost enabling three times the capacity of Symware 1.0 platform while maintaining a smaller form factor and power budget. The new platform is being launched at MWC Barcelona 2023 and demos will take place in the Rakuten Symphony booth (#2D46) and the Intel booth (#3E31).
- Samsung Electronics and DISH Network launched Samsung-supported sites for the DISH Wireless 5G network, marking the beginning of Samsung’s role in the operator’s nation-wide rollout. With Samsung supplying an initial shipment of 24,000 Open RAN-compliant radios and 5G virtualized RAN (vRAN) software solutions, the companies are accelerating the DISH network deployment across the U.S., which is poised to provide reliable and fast nationwide coverage to DISH Wireless network users.
- Samsung Electronics and Vodafone announced their plans to accelerate 5G Open RAN expansion across Europe, beginning new open network initiatives in Germany and Spain, while enhancing Vodafone’s 5G network in the U.K. This builds upon the two companies’ initial network collaboration, including Vodafone UK’s successful launch of the first 5G Open RAN site in Bath, U.K. in January 2022, using Samsung’s virtualized RAN (vRAN) solution.